Easysoft Data Access
How do I connect TARGIT to an ODBC Database?
Use an Easysoft ODBC Driver to connect TARGIT to an ODBC Database, enabling you to analyse data stored in data stores such as MongoDB and Salesforce.com from TARGIT Business Intelligence & Analytics applications such as TARGIT Decision Suite.
TARGIT Decision Suite uses an ODBC driver to interact with an external data source. ODBC is a data access technology, the Microsoft implementation of which is included with Windows.
Example: How to connect TARGIT to Salesforce.com
The components necessary to connect TARGIT to Salesforce.com are:
TARGIT <-> Salesforce.com ODBC Driver <-> Salesforce.com
Example: How to connect TARGIT to MongoDB
The components necessary to connect TARGIT to MongoDB are:
TARGIT <-> MongoDB ODBC Driver <-> MongoDB
The Salesforce.com ODBC Driver and MongoDB ODBC driver are available to download from the Easysoft web site.
Installing, Licensing and Testing the Easysoft ODBC Driver
- Download the Windows Salesforce.com ODBC Driver or Windows MongoDB ODBC Driver as required. (Registration required.)
- Install and license the Easysoft ODBC Driver on a Windows machine.
For installation instructions, see the Salesforce.com ODBC Driver documentation or MongoDB ODBC Driver documentation.
Before you can use the Easysoft ODBC Driver to connect TARGIT to Salesforce.com or MongoDB, you need to configure a System ODBC data source. An ODBC data source stores the connection details for the target database (e.g. Salesforce.com) and the ODBC driver that is required to connect to it (e.g. the Salesforce.com ODBC driver).
To run ODBC Administrator on 32-bit Windows, open Administrative Tools in Control Panel, and then open Data Sources (ODBC). (On older versions of Windows, the Control Panel applet that launches ODBC Administrator is labelled Data Sources.)
To run ODBC Administrator on 64-bit Windows, in the Windows Run dialog box, type this command if you are using a 64-bit version of TARGIT:
Type this command if you are using a 32-bit version of TARGIT:
If you are not sure whether your version of Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit, follow the instructions for running ODBC Administrator on 64-bit Windows. If you get an error, follow the instructions for 32-bit Windows instead.
Use ODBC Administrator to create your ODBC Driver data source.
Creating a Salesforce.com ODBC Data Source
- Choose the System DSN tab, and then choose Add.
- In the Create New Data Source dialog box, choose Easysoft ODBC-Salesforce Driver, and then choose Finish.
- Complete the Easysoft ODBC-Salesforce Driver DSN Setup dialog box:
|User Name||The name of your Salesforce.com user. For example, email@example.com.|
|Password||The password for your Salesforce.com user.|
|Token||The security token for your Salesforce.com user, if required. |
To find out whether you need to supply a security token, choose the Test button. If the connection attempt fails with an error which contains
LOGIN_MUST_USE_SECURITY_TOKEN, you need to supply one.
Salesforce.com emails the security token to the email address associated with your Salesforce.com user account. If you have not received a security token, you can regenerate it. Salesforce.com will then email the new security token to you. To regenerate your security token, log in to Salesforce.com and then choose Setup from the user menu. Search for "security token" in the Quick Find box. Click Reset Security Token in the Reset Security Token page. When you receive the token in your email client, copy it and then paste it into the Token field.
- Use the Test button to verify that you can successfully connect to Salesforce.com.
Creating a MongoDB ODBC Data Source
- Choose the System DSN tab, and then choose Add.
- In the Create New Data Source dialog box, choose Easysoft ODBC-MongoDB Driver, and then choose Finish.
- Complete these fields Easysoft ODBC-MongoDB Driver DSN Setup dialog box:
|Description||Easysoft MongoDB ODBC Driver|
|Server||The name or IP address of the host where your MongoDB instance is running.|
|User Name||If you need to supply a user name to access your MongoDB database, enter it here.|
|Password||The password for your MongoDB user name.|
- Use the Test button to verify that you can successfully connect to your MongoDB database.
Connecting TARGIT to your ODBC Database
You can now connect TARGIT to Salesforce.com or MongoDB:
- In TARGIT Management, choose your TARGIT server, and then choose Manage Server.
- Choose Connections, right-click in the right-hand pane and then choose Add.
- Choose Relational Database.
- Choose Generic.
- Name your Connection when prompted. For example, "Salesforce" or "MongoDB". Choose Next.
- Choose Change connection string.
- In the Data Link Properties dialog box, in the Use data source name list, choose the ODBC data source that you configured earlier.
- In the Enter the initial catalog to use list, choose the database that contains the data you want to access from TARGIT, if applicable to your data source. Choose OK.
- Choose Next, and then Choose Create.
- Right-click the new Connection, and then choose Edit data model.
- Drag the schema from the Schema pane to the Global pane.
- Choose the New Cube button.
- Choose the schema when prompted, and then choose OK.
- Add dimensions and measures to the cube by dragging them to the correct folders. Build hierarchies by dropping dimensions on top of each other.
- Save and close the data model, which is now available for analysis in TARGIT Decision Suite.
- Easysoft ODBC-Salesforce Driver
- Easysoft ODBC-MongoDB Driver
Knowledge Base Feedback